Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Little Details Are Worth the Extra Time

I can remember watching an Ace of Cakes episode where Anna made a full Scrabble board for a cake and I thought it was a crazy idea given all of the tiny details.  This week’s cake adventure was all about the tiny details, because my friend Lynn from work asked me to make a cake for surprise 60th birthday party she was helping to plan for her friend.  Guess what game was the inspiration behind the cake … yup, that’s the one!  Scrabble.  Thankfully, I only had space for about a quarter of the board on this cake.

I pulled out some of the fondant tools that I really haven’t needed to use since I took the Wilton class, checked those same class materials to make sure I remembered how to make fondant roses and bought some edible food markers.  The cake underneath is a white chocolate cake that I modified a bit from a cupcake recipe, with a strawberry-lime filling. 

I made my own marshmallow fondant for the main cake covering since I really like how it drapes and I wanted it to be like a tablecloth.  For the other fondant work, I purchased Duff fondant because I wanted something that dried a little firmer.  I loved working with it to make the fondant roses.  It didn’t stick to the sponge mat when I was working with the petals, it held its shape well and it dried with a nice sheen for the  rose petals.  Did I mention it also tastes good … unlike some purchased fondant.  The chocolate fondant really does smell and taste like chocolate, though it was harder to knead when I first started working with it.

To make the cake even more fun, and to make sure the tile usage was following Scrabble rules, the game is already under way and it appears both players can expand some existing words to complete the cake’s message.  The rose colours were requested, yellow for their sorority and red for love.  There was a lot of time that went into this cake, but it made the adventure more fun for me … even if I’m feeling a little short on sleep.  A good adventure is worth a little sleep deprivation. =)

This cake was really all about the details, from making sure the tiles had the right point value on them, to making the tile holders. to painting the bonus point squares, to making the fondant covering look like a tablecloth by cutting the fondant with a ripple edge with an embossed detail, and adding luster dust to the red roses. Those are the things that really made this work. 

Happy Birthday Pat!

3 comments:

  1. Karen,
    Your cakes are all fabulous, but this was by far the most amazing and most special one! Your creativity and love that you put into this cake did not go unnoticed. Shall I tell you that one of Pat's daughters rolled her piece of cake inside the fondant and chowed down like a burrito? She, by the way doesn't like fruity cakes. Changed her mind on that one! Thank you again. You are an amazing cake artist and someone I am privileged to call a very dear friend. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks my friend! This cake was definitely a perfect example of why I love cake decorating. I had a blast with the creative part and it was a privilege to make a cake for you to celebrate a dear friend's birthday. Thanks for all of your encouragement and support, you inspire me to create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love well made and designed cakes and this is truly fabulous. I would never have thought of a scrabble inspired cake and the attention to detail is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete